The EDD has various sectors of disability insurance. However, they wrongfully deny many deserving recipients. Luckily, there is someone to help during these challenging occurrences. Keep reading to learn what a short-term disability lawyer does for more information.
Understanding California’s Disability Insurance
Benefits recipients receive partial income to cover expenses while dealing with short-term disabilities. Disabilities include physical illness, mental illness, injury, elective surgery, pregnancy, and childbirth. California provides 60 to 70 percent of wages earned 5 to 18 months before the claim start date. However, this is dependent on the claimant’s income.
To receive benefits, claimants must meet the eligibility criteria from the EDD. Some criteria include:
- Being unable to complete usual work tasks for at least 8 days.
- Having experienced a loss in wages due to effects of the disability.
- Being employed at the time your disability begins.
Why People Don’t Receive SDI
Many people don’t receive benefits because the EDD found discrepancies in their claims. Here are a few reasons why the EDD denies claimants:
- Claimants have errors in their application (or turned the application in late).
- The EDD found that the claimant can work full-time.
- EDD believes that worker’s compensation should cover disability.
- The EDD refuses to accept the certification of the claimant’s health care provider.
- An EDD physician concludes that the claimant is well enough to resume work.
Short-Term Disability Lawyer Duties
Dealing with the EDD is a tricky process, and many claimants don’t receive the benefits they deserve. Fortunately, a short-term disability lawyer can help! You may wonder, what does a short-term disability lawyer do? Simply put, they help people understand why the EDD denied their benefits. Additionally, they help people appeal their SDI claims. Experienced lawyers want you to make the most out of your appeal and persuade the judge to reverse their decision.
Many people rely on SDI to cover expenses when they are unable to work. Without help, they face financial turmoil. A lawyer can significantly impact a case and help someone get the money they deserve!
Get the Benefits You Deserve
Do you think the EDD wrongfully withheld your SDI benefits? If so, you can fight back with an appeal. Don’t face the EDD alone when you can enlist help. Pershing Square Law Firm has a team of experienced short-term disability lawyers that’s ready to help you. Call us today for a free consultation!